INCI: Octyldodecanol (and) Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Wood Extract
inspired by forest therapy to defy skin aging
Santalwood™ biofunctional is a natural extract obtained from Santalum album. It is the first biofunctional to be developed by Ashland with Artificial Intelligence (AI). It adds to the allure of skin by transforming skin’s appearance from dull and lifeless to vibrant and glowing. Obtained by supercritical CO2 extraction from upcycled wood chips, this unique and patented biofunctional leverages the forest therapy trend, a trend also known as shinrin-yoku in Japan. Forests emit large amounts of odorant molecules, identified as “forest VOCs”, that can deliver several health benefits. Santalwood™ biofunctional captures selective forest VOCs from the sandalwood and enhances skin OR2AT4 olfactory receptors shown to decrease with age and air pollution. Santalwood™ biofunctional is oil soluble and can be formulated into a wide range of beauty products for well aging.
key features and benefits
- brings the well aging and regenerating benefits of sandalwood through OR2AT4 olfactory receptors
- increases cell longevity and reduces cell senescence
- enhances skin ceramide synthase and filaggrin in dry skin condition
- mitigates air pollution damage in ex vivo skin and in aged skin models
- clinically tested on skin regeneration, skin firmness, skin luminosity and skin wrinkles
- clinically proven to reduce the skin olfactory signature of aging (S-VOCs specific to aging)
bringing A.I. to cosmetic science
Bioinformatic intelligence was used to predict the potential skin biological activity based on 17 components of Santalwood™ biofunctional.
Bioinformatics predicted multiples biological pathways, including skin olfactory receptors OR2AT4, skin barrier regeneration, and on cell longevity and skin health, among many other potential activities.
Read More >
Santalwood™ in the news
- o PC Mag global - April 2021 cover
- o PC Mag cover story - April 2021
- o Incos Asia 2021 - Digital Magazine; A new sandalwood extract developed with A.I.
- o Eurocosmetics magazine: There are 3 special features associated with Ashland to create new and improved products for today and sustainable solutions for tomorrow
- o Cosmetic business article
- o Global Cosmetic Industry magazine- featured product