Klucel™ MS hydroxypropylcellulose in marine coatings
who helps marine primers sail ahead of the rest? we do.
Ashland launches Klucel™ MS, a new grade of hydroxypropyl cellulose as a thickener and anti-sagging agent for inorganic zinc rich primers. This brand new HPC technology enables a major improvement in dissolution speed in polar organic solvents, including methanol, isopropyl alcohol and xylene. Furthermore, the thickening efficiency has significantly improved compared to conventional HPCs.
Zinc-rich primers are used to protect steel surfaces from corrosion, principally through cathodic galvanic protection. Inorganic zinc rich primers typically use a silicate binder to promote zinc adhesion to the surface. Inorganic zinc-rich primers often contain higher zinc levels versus organic zinc primers. The combination of higher zinc levels and reactive silicate binders may provide superior corrosion resistance compared to their
Klucel™ MS HPC is suitable for permanent and temporary coatings sprayed onto ship panels prior to welding:
- permanent inorganic zinc rich primers
- temporary inorganic zinc ‘shop’ primers (B part)
Klucel™ MS hydroxypropyl cellulose is a non-ionic water-soluble cellulose ether with a versatile combination of properties:
- designed for rapid dissolution in organic solvents
- provides highest thickening efficiency against chemistries commonly used as thickeners and anti-sagging agents for solvent based zinc-rich primers
- soluble in water and multiple polar organic solvents used to control viscosity and gives smooth and clear solution
Read More >