Aquasorb™ cellulose gum
Aquasorb cellulose gum, or sodium carboxymethylcellulose (CMC), is a high-purity, powdered super-absorbent that offers increased bake stability, extended shelf life, freeze/thaw stability and water binding. Besides modifying the behavior of water, cellulose gum is useful in suspending solids and modifying the flow and texture.
In beverages, cellulose gum adds a pleasant, clean mouthfeel. In addition, the anionic nature of CMC allows it to interact with the positive charges found on protein in acidic conditions, thus making it an excellent stabilizer for low-pH dairy beverages.
CMC is also used in ice cream to control meltdown, add texture and protect against heat shock. High-viscosity grades of CMC are efficient thickeners and have a great ability to control and hold water. Aquasorb cellulose gum is a specialty grade designed for maximum water-holding in bakery and other applications.
Bakery products including bread, pizza, and sweet doughs; donuts and fried pastries; cake and muffin batters (full and reduced fat); fruit and cheese fillings for pies and pastries; and frostings and icings.
- Improved water retention (A-500), increased volume (7HXF), and delayed staling
- Dry strength, improved elasticity
- Improved crumb structure
- Improved strength, reduced fat and increased shelf life
- Improved distribution of fruit and nuts
- Crispness, stabilization
- Control of sugar crystals
- Thickening, stabilization
Meat products including casings, meat, meat liners, and seafood.
- Water binder, improved peelability of casing, control of syneresis
- Reduced thawing loss
- Releasing agent when peeling off casing
Pet food products including canned foods, dual-textured dog foods and specialty and semi-moist pet foods.
- Instant thickening of gravy, retarded softening of pellets
- Improved extrusion and appearance, increased water retention
- Stabilizer of fat
Sauces and savory products including salad dressings, tomato sauces, barbecues sauces, pie fillings and cream fillings.
- Thickener, reduced syneresis
- Texture control, cost-savings
- Drain weight control
Product Literature(publicly available)
Additional Product Literature
Safety Data Sheets
- Product Information
- 亚什兰食品配料解决方案 (Chinese)
- Soluções em ingredientes para alimentos (Portuguese)
- Решения в области пищевых ингредиентов (Russian)
- Soluciones en ingredientes para alimentos (Spanish)
- Technology Reports
- Aquasorb™ A-500 Cellulose Gum for Replacement of Guar Gum in Brötchen-type Bread
- Low Fat Mayonnaise-Style Dressing Study
- Synergistic Viscosity of Aquacel™ Cellulose Gum and Guar Gum
- Aquasorb™ A-500 Cellulose Gum in White Pan Bread
- Chiffon Cake with Aquasorb™ A-500 Cellulose Gum and Benecel™ K4M HPMC
- Sponge cake and Swiss roll with Aquasorb™ CMC A500
- Vegetarian Meatballs With Benecel™ A4M Methylcellulose and Aquasorb™ A 500 Cellulose Gum
- Cake With Fruit or Nut Inclusions With Aquasorb™ A-500 Cellulose Gum
- Pound Cakes With Aquasorb™ A-500 Cellulose Gum
- Rolls or Buns With Aquasorb™ A-500 Cellulose Gum
- Home Freezer Ice Cream With Aqualon™ Cellulose Gum or Supercol™ Guar Gum
- Steamed Buns with Benecel™ HPMC and Aquasorb™ Cellulose Gum (CMC)
- Spoonable Dressing with Aquasorb™ A500 Cellulose Gum
- Yellow Cake Mix with Aquasorb™ Cellulose Gum
- Mayonnaise-Style Dressing, Full Fat and Light with Aquasorb™ Cellulose Gum
- Cupcakes With Aquasorb™ A500 cellulose gum
Aquasorb CMC complies with the requirements of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, Title 21 section 182.1745, “Substances Generally Recognized as Safe” (GRAS) for use in foods and meets the monograph requirements set forth in the Food Chemicals Codex, current edition. Cellulose gum also conforms to the purity criteria of E466 as mentioned in the Annex of EC directive 2008/84/EC and amendments. An ADI (acceptable daily intake) of “not specified” has been allocated by the Scientific Committee of the EU and the Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives.
“Cellulose Gum,” accepted as a common or usual name for purified sodium carboxymethylcellulose, may be used in food label ingredient statements.