Envirez™ unsaturated polyester resins
Envirez resin is the first commercially available unsaturated polyester resin (UPR) containing a significant quantity of renewable materials. Envirez resins are manufactured using an innovative patented process that incorporates a variety of renewably sourced raw materials in the formulation. The product line has been expanded to include resins with recycled content to provide for a large number of more sustainable resin options.
Envirez resins meet the same performance and processing requirements as 100 percent petroleum-based UPR products and are used in a wide variety of processes and applications within the construction, marine, transportation and energy markets. The Envirez line illustrates Ashland's leadership position in UPR technology and our commitment to introducing new products and services that reduce waste and promote sustainable business practices.
Envirez resins have been designed to meet the many needs of the boat builder including hull, deck,and small part fabrication.
- Use an Envirez infusion resin for production of small parts with premium surface finish.
A variety of parts such as fins, beams, and panels, can be fabricated from Envirez resins for cooling towers and other industrial equipment.
- High strength and corrosion resistance are provided by Envirez resins designed for use in industrial applications.
Electrical Housings and related components can be fabricated using Envirez resin and BMC compounds.
- Maximize renewable content by adding natural fibers to Envirez for BMC molding applications.
Under the hood components, structural members, and solid surface panels can be fabricated using the Envirez resin technology.
- Utilize Envirez technology to reduce material impact while taking advantage of the lightweight and durability benefits of composites for automotive applications.
The first applications of Envirez resins were for John Deere tractor panels. Material is still used in agricultural applications including panels and small parts like fan shrouds.
- High strength panels with reduced paint defects are available when using Envirez resins designed for sheet molding applications.
Counter tops, sink basins and many other surfaces can be fabricated using the low color Envirez solid surface and marble casting resins.
- Sinks and surfaces fabricated with Envirez resins are applicable to many green building programs.
Use Envirez resins for back up lamination to gelcoated tub and shower units or for bonding to acrylic sheet. The Envirez resin technology is also found in gelcoat resin used for sanitary applications,
- The Envirez acrylic bonding resin provides reduced materials impact as well as superior bond performance.
Envirez resin technology for open molding and infusion processes can be used to fabricate nacelles and nose cones for wind turbines.
- Provide additional "green" attributes to your wind energy project by using Envirez resin technology.
Both recycle containing and rapidly renewable containing Envirez resins are available for production of window lineals.
- Fiberglass window lineals are already recognized for their insulation value. Add to their environmental performance by using an Envirez resin.
Product Literature(publicly available)
Additional Product Literature
Safety Data Sheets
Ashland’s global technology team includes skilled scientists, chemists, engineers and researchers who formulate specialty polymer products. With extensive experience in processes such as hand lay-up, spray-up and closed molding processes such as infusion, resin transfer molding, sheet molding compound, bulk molding compound, pultrusion and cured-in-place pipe, our development team can simulate the manufacturing environment in our world -class facility. This team then applies its specialty chemical expertise to customize polymers that enhance customers’ specific application needs. The team also offers chromatography, spectroscopy, microscopy, spectrometry, thermal analysis and mechanical testing services that validate and verify applications of its products to ensure quality control and safety.
Mechanical testing provides test data to characterize the mechanical integrity of molded resin castings, composites, laminates and sections of molded parts. The data is used to qualify materials for customer specifications, to help design materials for optimum end-use performance or to evaluate the effects of exposure environments on mechanical integrity. The material strength can be evaluated in a variety of deformations:
● Tensile testing – measures the stiffness and strength of a material as it is being pulled apart in tension.
● Flex testing – measures the stiffness and strength of a material as it is being deformed in three-point flexural bending.
● Fatigue testing – applies to a cyclical load or strain to the sample and determines the resiliency or durability of the material by measuring the number of cycles to failure.