Developing innovative, sustainable advantaged products is important to Ashland and our customers. Our chemistries help whiten your teeth, protect you from the sun and make your medicine work more effectively. They protect the environment through recycled, re-refined motor oils. Our ingredients are at work in architecture, vehicles, construction, food and beverages, personal care items and tissue and towel products.
Our customers who want and need sustainable alternatives collaborate with Ashland to develop and deliver innovative solutions that help them create more sustainable end-use products and to meet their own sustainability goals.
Below are a few examples of Ashland’s sustainably advantaged products.
- Ashland is the No. 1 global producer of cellulose ethers. These water-soluble polymers are made from cellulose, the primary cell wall of green plants and the most abundant naturally occurring polymer on Earth. Ninety percent of cotton and 50 percent of wood is cellulose. Our Aqualon™ ethylcellulose is used in products as diverse as pharmaceuticals and printing ink.
- Natrosol™ thickeners enhance paint quality and preserve critical performance characteristics, such as efficient thickening, stability, color compatibility and sag-resistance. Natrosol hydroxyethylcellulose excels on the sustainability front. The cellulose ether chemistry is derived from natural materials. In addition HEC is typically sold as a highly efficient dry powder, which means no alkylphenol ethoxylates and no added solvents.
- Vincience™ biofunctionals have developed ingredients based on natural, renewable and sustainable resources help marketers to position products in the marketplace that complement the ethos of today’s consumers. Over the past few years, Ashland has added significantly to its list of Ecocert validated and Cosmos compliant ingredients, giving marketers new opportunities to create highly functional skin and hair care products with a range of benefits considered good for consumers, local economies and the environment.
- Natriance™ extracts are derived from natural sources, such as pea, flaxseed, corn, bran and soybean. It provides formulators greater options for creating the latest in natural skin care products, while helping to deliver a new level of protection and performance to consumers around the world.
- Envirez™ resin is the first commercially available unsaturated polyester resin (UPR) containing a significant quantity of renewable materials. Envirez resins are manufactured using an innovative patented process that incorporates a variety of renewably sourced raw materials in the formulation. The product line has been expanded to include resins with recycled content to provide for a large number of more sustainable resin options.
- Derakane™ offers proven excellence in corrosion-resistant, fiberglass-reinforced plastic applications, including exceptional durability, superior heat-resistance, low maintenance and high performance for even the most challenging environments. Ashland is the largest global supplier of specialty corrosion resins.