Our company’s culture can’t be summed up with a campaign or a slogan. There’s far more to it than that, building on where we’ve been, where we are now and where we’re going.
We are working to build a winning culture that is unique to Ashland and to what we aspire to become. It is an asset that can create extraordinary advantages for our employees, our customers and our shareholders.
Our journey has been incredible. Prior to 2005, we were a holding company, with separate businesses and cultures. Then we were a diversified chemical company, with multiple cultures. Today, we are building a company that is distinct from our competitors and different from what we have been in the past. We are creating a specialty chemical company with a singular focus and a culture that will help us win in the marketplace.
Our goal is not only to become one of the top specialty chemical companies in the world, but to be viewed as the best. That’s an aspirational goal to be sure, but it’s what we believe we can achieve, because of the culture we’re working to build.
At the core of our culture, these five elements define the way we work with each other and how we create value:
• We are committed to the idea that we will win, as individuals and as a company, only when our customers win in the marketplace. The core element of market focus is around knowing our customers – and our customers’ customers – better than any of our competitors.
• Innovation is the lifeblood of our company. We believe the key to innovation is challenging the status quo – internally and externally – to get to new ways of thinking and then turning those ideas into the products and solutions that help our customers be more successful.
• The core element of agility is tricky to describe because many think it’s simply about being fast. We believe it takes a combination of preparation, flexibility, fantastic teamwork, a get-it-done attitude, quick decision-making and an outward focus to become very good at being very agile.
Click here to launch video.
• Efficiency is about continuously working together to optimize the use of valuable resources to support our business and the ways we get things done.
• People development is the foundation for all the other core elements of our culture. We believe the legacy we leave as a company will not be in our business accomplishments; it will be in our people and their accomplishments.
What these core elements have in common is a foundation grounded in people working together to do things well. Simple? Not quite. But we have chosen to make it fundamental to our promise, With good chemistry great things happen.™
At Ashland, good chemistry is as much about great people as it is about great science.